Friday, June 24, 2011

deck fire

Ok, if you missed it, I was on the Jamaica dental mission trip the first week of May.  We don't have an international calling plan so my phone was off for the week.  When I arrived in Atlanta at the end of the week I had 11 voice mails.  Message #5 said, "Dad, the deck caught on fire, but we put it out.  Everything is ok."
So you call the young adult that left the message and they don't answer the phone.  Are you serious?   You finally arrive home and one of the 6x6 posts and part of the railing is burned up.  Finally the young person arrives home.  You ask how this happened.  They don't know.  They just looked out the window and it was on fire.  "Gee Dad isn't it a good thing that we were here to see it and put it out?"

You scratch your head.  A few years ago you might have been mad, but these days you are beat down by the almost adult children, so you just shake your head.

Since the first week of May, we have torn off old parts and started the process of repair.  I am glad that it was only a little section of the deck. 

That is the deck story.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm really missing Paul Harvey right now--I'd like to hear "the rest of the story".

The thing is, you will hear it someday--some Father's Day when you're all sitting around reminiscing about the "good old days". This past Mother's Day, I got an ear full. Can you ground the mothers of your grandchildren?
I'm going to find a way. ; )

And yes, it was a good thing that your adult children were there to see it and put it out before it was too late. Whew! Talk about luck!