Wednesday, June 29, 2011

transmissions

If you own a car, you know that transmission trouble is nothing that you want.  So, for every car owner, it is just a matter of time.  It must have been our time.

We bought my wife's car 2 years ago with 75,000 miles.  Six months ago as it reached 95,000 and the jumping and lurching started.  We took it to the transmission shop.  I just picked one randomly from the yellow pages.  I dropped the car off, they took a look and called me.  "Mr. Brinkman, your car is not showing any codes on the computer.  When we drive it, what we experience does not justify the cost of us tearing into your transmission." 

That was good news and bad news.  Good news that someone was honest enough not to just take our money, but bad news in that it was still acting funny.  Over the next few months I got to know the transmission man very well.  I kept taking it back and he kept telling me the same thing.  "Mr Brinkman, as much as it will cost for us to work on this, we need to wait until I am sure that there is something to fix."

Finally it got so bad that my wife said that she would no longer drive the car.  I took it back.  Again, he told me that it didn't test bad.  We went on a test drive together, and oddly enough, it ran pretty good on the roads near the shop. 

I told him that we better do stage one anyway.  Stage one replaces all of the solenoids, switches, and electrical parts in the transmission.  Cost is $1800.  When the repair work began, Bill the transmission man called me.  He said that the parts that they replaced looked very worn and that it should be running much better.  Also, he found some better prices.  Only $1100.

Ok, so I am telling you this not because it drove us crazy for a few months, but because I have a new friend in the transmission business.  I meet very few people who are so concerned about doing the right thing that they will not take your money without good cause.  Bill at Cottmann transmission on 23rd and Noland Road is a very good man.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: