Saturday, June 25, 2011

regrets

Two years ago, a college friend told me that no one should live with regrets.  He said that you just have to believe that you have been forgiven for whatever you did or did not do.  Sometimes that is hard.

Ok, let's say I have no regrets, just a few wishes.  One of my wishes, was that I would have spent more time with my Dad before he died.  We had lunch every six weeks.  If I would have known we were going to lose him, I would have had lunch with him every week.

So I have this kid that has a big girl job.  A nurse at a local hospital.  She works nights.  She gets off at 7am.  She has an idea.  "Dad- how about we meet once a week for breakfast."  I jump on this.  I never got to coach any of their teams, so this is a good way for me to spend some time.  This week was our third weekly breakfast.

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to be doing this every week.  It makes me feel that in some way, one of my regrets has been healed, or one of my wishes has come true.  Just one question- who is the old guy in the picture with my daughter?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great! Love that you are posting more pictures also. (You are just a kid...it is all relative) Betty

Anonymous said...

Jeff will have no regrets when it comes to coaching his kids about life. You have always manned the "First Watch" position when it comes to deeply loving and guiding those kids. Happy for you and the father/daughter breakfasts. And about the "old man." Someday you'll know what really old is, and that you are really not old right now. Enjoy these midlife years. There will be plenty of time to feel old when you be old.

Anonymous said...

Not to worry about not having coached their baseball. Baseball coaching lasts for a season(s.) The kind of superior life coaching you and Cathy have done with your kids will outlast time, you, and Cathy.

Sharon said...

Very cool. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have dinner with my daughter Brenda every Thursday, always at a different restaurant. Memories are made of this and your breakfast's. God is good.

Walt