Friday, August 10, 2012

internment camps

I am reading a book called "The Invisible Thread" by Yoshiko Uchida.  Someone recommended the book to me, so I ordered it.  Unfortunately the book they were wanting me to buy was a different book of the same name. 

I will have to get that invisible thread book another day.  This one is the autobiography of a Japanese- American woman who was 24 or so when WW-2 started.  Of course, she and her family lost all of their possessions and were put into an internment camp as all  Japanese- Americans were for the duration of the war.

The stories from her book are so terrible, so unfair and so unconstitutional.  I am not going to chase any of them in this blog, but it does cause me to stop and ponder a question:  "Are we oppressing anyone?" "Are you oppressing anyone?" "Am I?"

Anytime we hurt another person, we crush them down and force them to live in a prison of fear and worry.  How do you treat your employees?  Your co-workers?  The annoying cousin? 

It is far too easy for us to ignore injustice and just go about our merry way.  May we all learn from the lessons of the past and refrain from actions that hurt.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: