Friday, August 31, 2012

what ever I am doing

What ever I am doing now.  What are you doing now?  What will I be doing, what will you be doing in an hour?  At 5pm?  Tomorrow?  Whatever we are doing, there is this thought that occurs to me from time to time...........randomly.

I am working on a sermon, I am watering flowers, I am talking to a child, I am talking to a staff member, I am doing something about the church or my family or my home.  I am having lunch with a friend that loves history.

And the whole time that all of this is taking place, the entire time, I am rushing about with my life, people in the Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Mozambique are starving to death.  Starving to death.  Starving.   Sorry to depress you, but what is wrong with me that I am not consumed by this reality?  Is what I am doing really more important that people starving?

Is it a beautiful day for them?

If this post takes you by surprise, then you may be as lost in your own life as I tend to get.  How can this be?  I go blythely on my way, and people are dying.  I am so glad for our missions program at church and the chances that each of us have to help others.  I want to do more of that.

No comments: