Friday, August 24, 2012

what do you love?

One way to tell what we love is to see the amount of power that we give to it in our lives.  I love my dog, but he doesn't get to chew up my car.  There are boundaries.  I love my kids but they don't get to sass their mother. [It's just an illustration, my kids love their mom.]  I love our trees so I protect them from pest infestations.

Now it gets tricky.  I love my money so I protect it from things that want to take it, including God.  I love my time so I resist the invitations from God to give my time.  After all, it is my time and my money, isn't it?

Ask yourself what you love more, your time and money or God.  Are these things submitted to Him or is there a boundary that you have placed up that holds our Father back from speaking into how you spend your time and money?

Answer honestly, and you can tell pretty easily how much we love which things.  The good news is, the moment we put God first, there is a joy and a happiness that we cannot find when we put other things before Him.

Love God!  Love Him with all your heart, your soul, your mind, your strengh, and love your neighbor as yourself.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How dreadfully incomplete this world would be without love. The love of God you keep us pointed to, and the love of people he puts in our path, is undoubtedly the saving grace of our human race.

And one more thing Jeff. We love you a lot...no boundaries.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, the primacy of grace is the most important teaching in the bible. God's love comes first. When we get this wrong, everything in our life is thrown off kilter. When we put God first and at the center of our life, everything else in life seems to fall into place by a sort of alchemy.

"O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in Thee."