Friday, January 16, 2015

glasses

I had an interesting thing happen to me the other day, and I got to thinking.  Thinking is a good thing.

I have a great optometrist that has provided me with two pair of glasses.  One for general life and one for reading.

Now I have not seen my fine eye doctor for a few years, [except at church] and i need to go see him or her, but that is a side bar to this story.

So I reached for my general glasses and started to put them on my head.  But there was a problem.  I had not first removed my reading glasses.  So I subconsciously just went to make the change, but there was no room for the new glasses.

Here is the learning moment - in order to make room for the new glasses, I actually had to remove the old ones.

To me this says a ton about how we see life.  Everyone has a way that they see it.  An outlook, a paradigm.  If you ever expect to change, you must be willing to set the current life paradigm aside, otherwise there will be no room for the new one.

Now here is the problem with most of us........ we think our world view is right.  If we didn't we would change it, right?  But what if we just started opening our paradigms a bit.  We will surely find that we are not as smart as we thought we were.

The world is much much bigger than my ideas.  But I will never know this until I set aside my one familiar pair of glasses,  and try out  the vision of another person.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: