Monday, January 26, 2015

starfish story

I know you have heard this story, but here it is again, with a caveat.

An old man had a habit of early morning walks on the beach. One day, after a storm, he saw a human figure in the distance moving like a dancer. As he came closer he saw that it was a young woman and she was not dancing but was reaching down to the sand, picking up a starfish and very gently throwing them into the ocean.
“Young lady,” he asked, “Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?”
“The sun is up, and the tide is going out, and if I do not throw them in they will die.”
“But young lady, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it? You cannot possibly make a difference.”
The young woman listened politely, paused and then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves, saying, “It made a difference for that one.”

Sometimes we experience compassion fatigue.  Oh, more missions?  More caring?  I am tired.  Oh, that starfish story?  I have heard it 100 times.

So, I had an interesting thought about this story that I have never had before-

What are the starfish thinking?
I am sure that they are saying, begging, pleading, "Please don’t stop.  Please don’t give up.  Please help me."

I was hungry and you fed me.  I needed a doctor and you brought one.  I needed a house and you built one.  Please pray about helping to provide housing for our friends in Nicaragua.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please also pray about helping provide tutors to our kids in Russia!