Thursday, January 22, 2015

Prayer and Meditation

Prayer and meditation-

When I was growing up, prayer was praised and meditation was wrong.  Prayer was Western and meditation was Eastern.  Prayer was good and meditation was bad.  Prayer filled the mind with God and meditation emptied the mind.

Well, let me set aside a bit of what the church taught me as a child to change my opinion on prayer and meditation. 

What most of us learned in prayer, is asking for things from God.  God can you do this.  God can you do that.  God will you help grandma. 

I would tell you today that prayer in my experience, for most people, seems to focus more on asking while meditation focuses more on listening.  Boy do we need to listen more.

Don’t be afraid of the word meditation.  It is the long lost twin of prayer.   It is a soul mate of prayer.  It is a type of prayer, or is true prayer a type of meditation?

Any way, we all need to talk less and listen more.


It’s a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: