Sunday, November 17, 2019

the marginalized

Every church I have ever been a part of had ministries to the homeless or marginalized.  We took food and stuff and went to where they lived.

At Ft Pierce First UMC it is different.  The church is in the middle of the area where the homeless and marginalized live.  A number of them attend our church.  Well, it's their church too.  On my second Sunday, one of the fellows introduced himself to me and said, "welcome to my church."  I loved it!

Anyway, I have got to know a number of these guys and they all have a story.  There is a reason that they are where they are at.  I have come to prefer the term marginalized because not all of them are homeless.  Some of them have places to stay.

Anyway last Sunday after church we had a dinner to raise money for our Cuba Sister Church.  The marginalized guys [aka the guys] always come and they eat for free of course.  After the dinner we had a dessert auction.  Pies and cakes are sold for amazing amounts of money.  One pie went for $150.  Anyway it was about money for a good cause.

I wanted to participate so I bid up some m&m brownies.  I ended up buying the tray for $50.  Now if you have seen me lately, you know that I don't need to eat any more brownies.  So I cut them up, put them in baggies and gave them to the guys.  And here is the point of this blog...  the looks on their faces, the sincere appreciation, the genuine thanks.  It touched my heart.

Doing nice things for people is not about getting appreciation or thanks, but I was glad that the brownies made them happy.  Do all the good that you can, in all of the ways that you can, to all of the people that you can.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: