Sunday, November 24, 2019

The uncertainty of sermon preparation

A few weeks ago I preached a sermon on the church and what it takes for us to be relevant.  I thank Pastor Tim for the opportunity to fill in for him.

The sermon was delivered on Nov 10 and when I sent out the audio, several of you let me know that the audio was cut off.  I don't know why but for some reason my phone shut off half way thru the recording.  I'm sorry.

Anyway, As I prepared for this sermon I was reminded of how difficult this process is.  [unless you just steal someone else's, but that creates its own issues.] When I was serving the church full time, I can tell you that it seemed like Sunday came 3x a week.  Sometimes you would work on a thing, go to bed on Saturday night praying, "Lord, you are really going to have to help this one."  Sometimes I would wake up on Sunday morning and look at the notes and think, "oh my gosh, what was I thinking?"  Sometimes after service people would go out and say, "well, that was not one of your best."  The pressure to think that you can speak for God is really difficult.

Imagine having to say something spiritual, every Sunday.  What if you don't feel spiritual?  What if you are struggling with loneliness or such?  Doesn't matter.  I will never forget the Mother's Day when a member came up to me and said, "good morning Jeff, it's Mothers day and my mother is here with me.  This better be a good one."

The point of all of this is that preaching is a huge responsibility.  Le us remember to pray for our preachers and encourage them.  It is not an easy endeavor.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: