Saturday, December 28, 2019

Are we supposed to get what we want?

From my friend Pat-

I was thinking about the prosperity gospel the other day. ( I know, why on earth was I doing that when I could have been listening to the impeachment hearings). As I understand it, the prosperity gospel goes like this: if I obey God, as told to me by the minister (and maybe if I mail in a donation), I will be rewarded with good things in this life: Prosperity will come my way.  (Is this how I win the lottery or my team - Go Chiefs!-wins the Super Bowl?) What about the other guy going to a similarly oriented church who happens to be a 49er's fan or who also buys a lottery ticket. Or my opponent in my next jury trial.  And if they win and I lose, do I stop believing? Or do I just need to donate more?

When I contemplate the life of Christ, I realize that He was obedient: in the garden the night of his arrest He tried to find a way out of his commitment. He asked for someone else to take his place (take this cup from me). He really did not want to endure the next 48 hours of his life. (The anti-prosperity gospel: obey and you will suffer)

But He obeyed. The next 48 hours were pretty bad, no terrible. Shoot, they even stole his clothes.

Christ’s life, his message is not about how to get more for you. Rather, His example shows a better way for all of us to live together. The notion of getting more for me because I attend the correct church and publicly proclaim my church’s political or religious perspective seems more like the guys who grabbed Christ than those who were walking with him as disciples. Think about it..

Now about Sunday’s game.....

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -
I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours

No comments: