Thursday, December 26, 2019

Why are we here? What is our business?

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
- Matthew 5:7

In Charles Dickens Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol, Ebeneezer Scrooge is visited by the ghost of his old business partner Jacob Marley...  It is a pretty frightful moment for Scrooge.

Jacob Marley: I wear the chain I forged in life! I made it link by link and yard by yard! I put it on of my own free will and by my own free will, I wore it!

Ebeneezer: But it was only that you were an honest man of business!

Jacob Marley:  “Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare of all people was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were all my business. The dealings of my work were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”


Dear Friends... this Christmas, and all through the year, may we remember that Mankind and Womankind, Humankind is our business.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."
- Matthew 5:7

No comments: