Friday, December 20, 2019

Yacht life

I was on a cruise ship last week. We were parked in Nassau and I watched several large, cool yachts pass by.

For a moment I thought about the lives of those who own such boats. Wow!!!  How nice it would be to have a yacht. To sail where ever you wanted to go. To feel the pride of pulling into some port and know that you were all that. To have a room on your yacht to drink, to play pool, to sleep, to do whatever you wanted. Imagine being able to take all of your friends out.

I did some math. If a yacht costs $1,000,000 the payment would be over $4,000 a month which is totally impossible and out of the realm of possibility. Then there is the cost of insurance, fuel, and hiring a Captain and crew. Totally out of the question.

So I felt sad for a moment.

Then I thought about how many people that I know and people that I don’t know who can’t afford to go on a cruise as I was. I thought of people who don’t have health care. I thought of people who have never been to the dentist. I thought of people who don’t know where their next meal is coming from.

I stopped worrying about the yacht. I have nothing to complain about.

We have plenty in this life.

As my dad told me, and I have told my children many times, there will always be people that have more than you and people who have less.

Work hard in life, but no matter what your station, learn to be happy with what you have. Wanting more only brings suffering.

The Apostle Paul said, if you have food and clothes, be content.  1 Tim 6:8

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: