Wednesday, December 18, 2019

This is just good stuff

From my friend Pat...

My friends are dieing, or are sick with awful things. Its a season of life, and a not very desirable one. All my life I’ve assumed, whether I knew it or not, that certain people would always be there. I should have had an inkling when my brother then my Dad passed, or when my mom passed, but they were all “older” and it was understandable(my brother was 52, I was then 42-see how silly we are?)

But now my contemporaries are struggling or are gone. People who I came up with, went to college, raised kids, attended marriages, held hands through divorces and so on. We rode together and we were invincible. Life is not a gentle teacher.

Finding your own mortality creates a sort of focus that is lacking when you believe life goes on forever. Suddenly you are less tolerant of stupid things(political rhetoric, cruelty, phone menus) and much more interested in simple things(children’s laughter, coffee with a friend, most anything unexpectedly kind). I’ve always known these things, but with the passing of those around me, I really know them in a way I never did before.

I’m blessed with this experience called life, and I’m blessed with the opportunity to see what’s really important, and lasting. Perhaps you can get there faster than I did.

Merry Christmas

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com
- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: