Saturday, December 7, 2019

What we want for Christmas part 2

From my friend Di....

I was talking to a friend the other day about what is important for Christmas and it reminded me of a Christmas about 6 years ago. We were spending it with our daughter's family and her in-laws. My husband and I decided, instead of buying expensive gifts and "stuff", we would get each of our grown children a small gift to open and then donate goats (to end world hunger) through Heifer International in their names. Well, the in-laws had 3 grown children and the gifts being exchanged Christmas morning, let me say that "in abundance" was inadequate to describe the scene. There were gifts everywhere. Then it was our family's turn to exchange gifts. The looks on the faces of the adult children, as well as the in laws, was priceless. All the commotion stopped and faces screwed up in confusion. My husband and I had a good laugh and then explained why they got "goats" for Christmas. We were pleased. After a while everyone was pleased. The Christmas spirit flowed in the room. As a result of that Christmas, gift giving is toned way down, and donations to charities in each others names are way up. The pressure is off for buying multiple gifts, and more emphasis is on the important thing: the manger. Joy to the World!

No comments: