Thursday, December 5, 2019

What do we want for Christmas?

When my parents were kids, they got nothing for Christmas.  On good years they would get some candy in their stocking, oh, and an orange.

When we were kids, our church gave out candy and fruit to the kids after service on Christmas Eve.  We were not impressed.  We had moved on.  We had candy around the house all the time.

When I was a kid, we wanted GI Joes and sports equipment.  I suppose that today's kids want electronic gadgets.

Now I am 62 years old.  Christmas is coming.  What do I want? 

Why is that even a question?  When did Christmas become about what I want?  That is just wrong.  Christmas should only be about us giving thanks for God reaching down to the earth with a message of Good News.

But since I started with what do we/I want for Christmas, let me go there.  I really don't need anything.  I really don't want anything.  We are pretty fortunate and if I want a Ring doorbell, I guess we can buy one.  If I want to buy a new tool, I guess that I can.  I don't need anything for Christmas.

But what I would like, is to see my family and friends.  To look into their eyes and to tell them how much I love them.  Hugs and smiles all around.  That would make for a great Christmas.  Heck, that would make for a great day, any day.  Why not deliver a smile and a hug today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: