Sunday, October 16, 2022

The roll of quarters

I was out of town for two weeks of work.  During the first week I got to thinking about laundry.  At the hotel I wondered if they had laundry facilities.  I was down at the desk and I asked if the woman behind the desk could break a $10.  She thought I needed coins for laundry so she gave me a roll of quarters. I took them and went on my way.

I didn’t do my laundry that week but by the second week I definitely had to do laundry - "PU!!!"   

I started looking for laundromats and the one that I found in Logansport, Indiana had a sign on the door that says that they will do it for you.  So since I didn’t have the time to wait, I just dropped it off.

I came back to pick it up after work the next day. When I was getting out of the truck to go in to get the clothes, I saw the roll of quarters. My brain said, Jeff, you can give that away to the people inside.  People in laundromats need quarters.

Then I thought, how do you know who really needs it?   I thought also that the $10 will buy my dinner. I thought "yeah I can give it to the people at McDonald’s to pay for my big Mac and fries." 

But I thought more about giving it away... and then I thought that if I spent that roll of quarters on my self at this point I would feel like a heel no matter what I was buying. So I took it into the laundromat, I paid the bill and asked the lady if they ever gave quarters to people in need.  she said yes, "every day I do it out of my own pocket."

So I gave her the roll of quarters and asked her to give it to someone in need and I’m sure that she will. The more we learn to give the better life goes.

I found it interesting that once I thought about giving that roll of quarters away, I knew that I could not spend it on myself.  It was almost like it wasn't mine anymore.

Lord please make us all more generous.  Especially in these times, it is needed now, more than ever.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: