Tuesday, April 11, 2023

John Sherley

I sat in on a zoom call with a men's book study group last week.  I love those guys.  I love all of those guys.

One of the guys on that call was John Sherley.  I love that guy.

We were talking about how Jesus boiled it all down to a message of love.  In his sermon on the mount, the beatitudes boiled it all down.  Over and over, Jesus focused on love.

John said something that I thought was funny, and profound.  He said, "and for the slow ones in the group, Jesus said, 'love one another."

Now when John used the word "slow" he was not referring to the mentally challenged.  He was referring to all of us, or any of us who have been "slow to get it."  That includes me.

How many years did I spend focused on belief and doctrine and such, treating love as a secondary part of Christianity.  Friends, love is not a secondary part.  It is the core of Christianity.  It is not just the core, it is the only part.  Everything else, without love, is rubbish.

And so, for the slow among us, let us remember Jesus' words, "love one another."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: