Wednesday, April 12, 2023

throw it out


Sometimes we have to throw things away.  I hate wasting things, but sometimes things need to get to the trash.  These flip flops finally had to go.  I don't know if I got these from my friend Chris or if I bought them online, but I finally had to toss them.  It seems that these flip flops, although they look perfectly fine on the outside, have absorbed some thorns and other objects that disappear into the foam and cannot be found... until you walk on them just right.  I tried to fix them, but in the end, their time had come.

There are things in life that we should toss.  Things that we should trash.  Things that seem ok for a while, but after a time, tend to deliver pain.   Here are some other things that I have tried to send to the trash...

- insisting on certain doctrines
- insisting on a Jesus that is "my sized" instead of God sized.
- any ideas related to the second coming. They are usually wrong, and self-centered.
- a rejection of the other political party's ideas.
- a sense that I deserve anything.

These things that I have tossed, I hope to replace with the following.  Out with the old, in with the new...

-insisting on love.
-believing in a Jesus that is bigger than my notions of him.
- focusing on living in the now instead of a pie in the sky in the sweet bye and bye.
- a welcoming of ideas from all sides of the aisles. That is how we learn. That is how we stretch our brains.
- an appreciation of the simple things. A growing sense of gratitude.

What should go in your life?  What should you replace it with?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: