Monday, May 15, 2023

Thoughts on thinking

This is what I see from the window of my
train car.  Yes I can see everything in my
site, but do I really have a full vision of
what is going on in the world???




I like to think. It is my belief, I think, that some people do not think about things, they merely react to situations around them.

Thinking is different than reacting. Thinking is setting aside my notions of a thing and looking for other angles.

True thinking asks me to release all preconceived ideas. It asks me to set aside my prejudices and the normal paths that my brain takes, and look for another way.  What were they thinking?  What is this situation like from their perspective?  How are my actions perceived by them?

Consider a railroad track. It is going one way and one way only. Most people, when they think, look at other ideas from the safety and security of their train. What if we totally got off the train track and got on a bus or a boat or an airplane? What if we discovered and explored the myriad of ways to look at the landscape of life?

"A great many people think that they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."
                                                        William James

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to look for other perspectives on life... Release yourself from the past... get off the tracks and see what is really out there...


No comments: