Friday, November 10, 2023

Question - what to say when a pet dies

A friend sent in this question...

When a Pet dies, what do you say to the owner?

Well, first of all, never say, "It was just a cat it was just a dog." To a real pet owner, the furry friends become companions and members of our family. When you think about it, it is kind of painful to think that in the life time of a human, we could have 4 dogs or cats living consecutive lives… we would watch them grow from pups to full grown, and then watch them die, and we lose them, over and over in this life. But we love our pets so that is what we do.

Never suggest that they get another cat or dog. They know that they can do that.

And so, I think that usually, just as in a human death, way too much is said. We really should say nothing more than this: "I love you, and I am sorry."

Now, if they invite you into the discussion, I think it is fine to say more:
  • Rover was a great dog. I loved him.
  • I know you loved him. I know it hurts.
  • If the lion lays down with the lamb in heaven, then I know we will see our pets again.

But as a general rule, I love you and I am sorry, is a good start and it is probably enough.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure

If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com  

No comments: