Monday, November 20, 2023

The sins of others

Have you ever spent time thinking about the sins of others?  I think that sometimes you and I might do just that.

And so the other day, I was thinking about the thief on the cross.  What were his sins?  Well, for sure he was a thief.  He took from others.  But in our culture, much robbery and thievery is about drugs.  People steal to pay for their drugs.  Maybe the thief on the cross was addicted to drugs and was trying to get money for his next fix.

Maybe he was poor and coveted what other people had.  Maybe he had a severe case of the "wants."  You have it, and I want it.  I want it really, really badly.

At least he was guilty of the sin of selfishness.  He put himself first.  Whatever was the total story, he put himself first.  Question... have I ever done that?  Yes probably for sure.

So let us summarize... his sins were probably:  stealing, selfishness, coveting, and maybe addiction?

That is a pretty good list.

What did Jesus say about his sins???  Nothing.  NOTHING!

But Jesus did say, "Today, you will be with me in paradise."

Maybe we should spend less time on the lists of other's sins, and more time offering them grace.  Seems like a pretty Jesusy thing to do.

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure

If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com  

No comments: