Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Trouble in the check out line

I received this story from a Kansas City friend...

This morning I stopped by Price Chopper on my way to the airport (going to Denver to cheer on the Chiefs!!!).  I picked up Zicam (to ensure that I don’t get sick and can cheer on our guys in red) and I grabbed a banana to ensure that I wouldn’t get hangry on the flight.  [I try to be a nice person, but when I am hungry, all bets are off.]

As I scoped out the check out lines, I realized that it is too early in the day for the self-checkout register to be open. There is only one cashier open and one customer has just started unloading her huge cart of groceries. 

Now I am in a hurry, and I think to myself this is going to take forever.  I knew that there was nothing that I could do, so I just tried to relax and I smiled at the lady putting her groceries on the belt. She promptly asked if all I had was the two items in my hand and I replied yes. She said, “here just add them to my order, I’ve got you covered.” 

What? You want to pay for my things???  Of course, I said to her that is a very sweet gesture but no I couldn’t do that especially since the Zicam was $13.00.  She insisted and looked me in the eyes and said, “consider this a pay it forward moment, take the money you would have used to pay for these items and find a good cause or a person in need to give it to.”  I tried to hand her a $20 but again she denied my money.  I realized that if I forced her to take the money, I would be denying her the gift of bringing some joy to me.

So, I gave this complete stranger who had a huge heart, a hug right there in the grocery store check out lane. She handed me my two items and I promised I would find a person or cause to pass it on to. This 3 minute exchange brought both her and me joy and I can’t wait to look for an opportunity to help someone else out.

Jeff comments:  What a lovely example of generosity!  Oh that we all would seek ways to be more kind, gracious and generous.  And an interesting thought... next time someone is behind me in line with almost nothing, instead of just letting them go before me, pay for their stuff.  I love it!!!

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure

If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com  

No comments: