Wednesday, June 26, 2024

the loud person

So I am staying at a hotel in West Palm.  After the free breakfast, I am on the way to the elevator when I hear a good deal of noise coming from the front desk.

It sounds like someone is being hateful to the desk clerk.

My brains says, go see what is going on.  Then my brain says to get on the elevator.  But as the door is closing, I keep thinking about the clerk at the desk.  I open the door and follow the noise.

I get about ten feet away and I realize that the guest is not being ugly, she is just loud, very loud.

- - - - 

And so I ask myself what I was going to do if the guest was being ugly.  And I know the answer.  The first thing I would have done if the person was actually being ugly, would be to go stand at the desk a few feet away.  Sometimes the presence of another human can pull an ugly person out of their rant.  Had that not worked, I would have made intentional eye contact with the guest and the clerk.  Finally, I imagine, if the imagined hatred continued, I would have said something to the effect of "this is a person you are talking to... being nice isn't that hard."

I hope that we don't encounter any mean people today.  And I certainly hope for sure that we are never the mean person.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: