Saturday, April 27, 2024

Darn truck won't start

So I am working in Boca Raton.  The second shift.   Basically 4pm - Midnight.  I am having a lovely day.  I got to bed at 2am so I slept til 11am.  I woke up, worked on the computer, and hit the hotel pool.  Then I got ready to go to work.

At 2:30 I went out to get in the rental truck to go pick up my co-worker.  

The rental truck won't start.  2024 Dodge Ram pickup.  15,000 miles.  Won't start.  OK>  Here we go.  I call the 800 number for roadside assistance.  For ten minutes I am in their phone tree.  Press one if you need this.  Press two if you need that.

I am going to be late for work. 😠😡😖

I land on a selection that gives me choices for getting help.  The cheapest option is $125.  This is a rental vehicle.  I am not paying for anything.  Someone come save me.  Can I talk to a real human please.

I start the call over.  After another ten minutes, I am somehow connected to a nice lady whose English is not her first language.  So here is the deal she tells me.  I have to wait with the vehicle for 90 minutes until a tow truck gets there.  Then the tow truck will drive me 25 miles to the West Palm airport where I can get another car.

No sorry, I tell her, that is not going to work.  I am now fully engaged in saying my prayers.  Jesus don't let me be ugly.  It is not her fault.  I am pulling my hair out!  I ask if they can uber me to the airport.  She says sure, but if you leave the vehicle and anything happens to it, the damage will be your responsibility.  What???  Your truck won't run and somehow if something else happens to it -it will be my fault?

UGH.

I called an uber.  The driver was nice.  I practiced bio-feedback on the way to the airport.  The driver took me right to the rental counter.  There was no line.  In a few minutes I had another truck.

[wait a minute, it's stopped raining, guys are swimming, guys are sailing...]  So I tear off in a mad dash to get to the job site.  Now through 45 minutes of south Florida rush hour traffic... but at least I am back in business.

Moral of the story... Life is not always going to align itself to make you happy, even when you are paying it.  Patience is a virtue.  Everything will work out in the end.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good, even when the vehicle won't start.

No comments: