Thursday, May 10, 2007

approval

Do you approve or disapprove of me? Do you reject me? Do I feel better when you approve of me and worse when you don't? Human beings are addicted to the drug of approval. Someone likes you, you feel good. Someone doesnt like you, you feel bad. That is silly. Their opinion of you does not change the truth of who you are.

Who tells you who and what you are? Your mom, your dad, your friends, your spouse, the popular people, the rich people? Who tells you that you are ok?

God does. God tells you that you are loveable, that you are accepted and approved. He loves you without condition. He loves you completely. Do you understand this? Can you take this truth into your brain and past your brain into your soul?

When you know you are loved by God, the tapes that have run in the back of your head telling you that you are bad, well they stop running. Not all at once, it takes practice, but you can actually live your life with confidence and joy.

This is a very big thought. There is much to say about this. I hope and pray that you are beginning to understand how much God loves you. He tells you that you matter. Remember that.

3 comments:

Raegene Kinghe said...

Hi Jeff-

This blogging is great, never did it before either. You messages are just what we need during the week.
As you know we love our church family and really miss out when we are out of town.
Just a thought about Mother's day, I received flowers from my daughter who hasn't communicated to me for over a year now. What a wonderful answer to prayer.Not the flowers so much,but the message of "Love".
If I could have all of my children and grandchildren in church on Mother's day, it would be the best
gift ever. Some day maybe.
I would like to see you put these
"blogs" into a daily devotionals actually published.
God's blessings to you today and every minute of every day that you
live, and yes I do hear the birds.
Raegene

InkyLynne said...

Dear Jeff:
Thank you for your blog entry; it was just what I needed to see today. I struggle with seeking approval on a daily basis; I often feel frozen because I can't (or don't want to do) what people want me to do. I make myself feel like less so I can make others feel like more. I was working on a chart last night on How God Sees Me and was having trouble filling out the "credits" column. I keep rereading your comments about taking the truth of God's complete love into my brain and soul. Thank you for reminding me that I always have God's approval and that means I always matter.

terry said...

Thank you for the nice reminder that we are not defined by others or by our circumstances. Thank you for the encouragement. Thank you for reminding us that our identity is in Christ and we are made in God's image and our confidence is directly from him! I am starting to hear the birds! Terry Rinck