Friday, May 11, 2007

Why I like trees

I have learned something in the last two years that has really changed my life. It is a very simple thing, but I am getting better at it, and it is making a difference in how I feel about each day, how I feel about myself, and how I think and feel about others.

Awareness. Being aware of what is around you. So many people live their lives in a big hurry, they never stop to smell the roses. When we are too busy, we forget that we live in a beautiful world. We forget that the people that live in our homes are little miracles. We forget to give thanks for the day. If you get really busy, you can become easily angered when things dont go your way and begin to see people as exisiting for the purpose of making you happy.

Today I planted 8 trees on the church property. [Friday is my day off, so it is ok.] I have 4 more trees that I am taking up to the workday tomorrow. These are not big trees, but they will grow and in time, they will provide shade to the weary. What is it about trees? They are beautiful. You can watch them grow. You can prune them so that they grow efficiently. They provide shade. They are alive. Psalm 1 refers to the righteous as a tree that is planted by the waters.

This is hard to explain. Do you understand what I am saying? Go into the backyard or find a park and just enjoy the beauty of a tree. God speaks to us through his creation. He made trees. I love trees.

Awareness. Paying attention to the wonderful things that are around you. Awareness brings an appreciation and an admiration for the object. If we can learn to love trees, just think what is next.....neighbors, teenagers, mothers in law. Trees are good.

No comments: