Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Getting myself out of the way so God can come in

My life would be easier, my life is easier when I am less self-centered and more Christ centered, more other centered. We insist upon things that do not matter. We cling to things that we need not hold onto. Remember the story of the monkey who sticks his hand in the jar and grabs the penny? His tight fist around the penny keeps him from removing his hand from the jar. Wanting things and insisting that things go my way invites worry and struggle into our lives. Relaxing, letting go, allowing others to win the argument brings a sense of peace to our lives. When I can do this, I am no longer tied up in "me and mine." I begin to relax and make room for the quiet presence of God.

There were two monks who lived together in a monastery for forty years and never argued. Not even once. One day, one said to the other, "Don't you think its time we had an argument, at least once?"
The other monk said, "fine, let's start! What shall we argue about?"
"How about this peice of bread?" said the first monk.
"Okay, let's argue about this bread. How are we going to do it?" said the second.
"Ok here goes," the first monk said, "this bread is mine, it belongs to me!"
The second monk said, "Well, if it is, then take it."

Peace isn't destroyed by disagreement. It is the "I" the "me" that destroys peace. Get yourself out of the way for a few minutes and invite God's presence into your day.

No comments: