Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The dancing gene

I have it. I know I do. If you have the dancing gene, you just know it. I don't care if my family thinks that I dance like Bill Cosby or Elaine from Seinfeld. Maybe Bill and Elaine had the dancing gene too.

The London Times recently did a nice article on the dancing gene.

Dancing is good. Its good for your heart, it is good for muscle tone. Dancing make you feel good. The Bible encourages us to "praise Him with the dance." It also tells us that "David danced before the Lord." You have to know that there was dancing at the wedding of Cana, when Jesus turned the water into wine.

So, I have the dancing gene. Sometimes it just pops out of you and you start to swing and do your special moves. You can't help it. You cant stop it. You just have to dance.

And so, last night the family is at the Royals game. [Thanks to my friend for the nice tickets.] The Royals may not have the best record in baseball, but they have a really nice sound system, and when the music comes on, well, its hard to keep still. The feet start to shuffle and the arms start to swing, and pretty soon you are up and out of your seat. And so it happened that after the "kiss cam" they had the "dance cam" and it was then that this old boy made it on the giant skytron tv screen, showing the fans his moves. As I remember the moment, there was a great ovation from the stands, followed by the wave cheer. Then everyone joined in and learned one of my favorite moves. I got the key to the city. [To be fair, my family remembers the moment a little differently.]

Dancing is good. It is the happiness inside of you bursting out. I guess Lee Ann Womack said it very well: "when you get a choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

I have the dancing gene. I cant help it. Try it. Let loose. It is good for your soul. Who cares what your co-workers may think. Life is good and sometimes you just have to dance, no matter who is watching.

It is a beautifl day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Andrew Loos said...

Look Out contestants of So You Think You Can Dance. I have already exhausted the battery on my mac looking for your dance video on YouTube.com.

I must confess, I too have the dancing gene. I actually come from a dance family. Really!! My mom danced for the Denver Ballet when I was just a wee chap.

Too often she suggested that I follow in her footsteps as a dancer in the ballet arts. Maybe if I had endulged her passion, I would have caught passes in the NFL like another gentlemen with 'the dancing gene." Remember Lynn Swann of the Pittsburg Steelers? He too studied ballet, and went on to be a pretty good football player.

Alas, my dream was to travel the US, from the smallest minor league ballparks to the baseball cathedrals of the BIG LEAUGES, sucking up grounders like a hoover vacum at second base. In the end, after 15 years of baseball, I still don't think ballet would have helped me hit a curve ball.

So to all who might chuckle at the admission of someones genetic predisposition to dance, take a look in the mirror and ask yourself: didn't you feel just a little bit better the last time you "cut the rug" at a family wedding?

Release your inhibitions, and DANCE!!!!

Jayhawk Teacher said...

It was great to see you at the game. I thought your dancing was GREAT!!! You even got my boyfriend to agree to come try our church!