Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Generous Heart

I had lunch recently with a generous heart. That is not a statement about how much money they give. Somewhere in the changing and growning that happens in my faith development, I have discovered the joy of generosity. Generous people do give money, but not all people that give money are generous. Some are self centered, mean and attention seeking. Truly generous people give in hundreds of ways.

They always take a moment for you. They always say thank you. They walk little old ladies across the street. They always want to pay for lunch. They are kind and compassionate. Anything that they have is at your disposal. They seem to give, happily and freely. It brings them joy to give.

That is an opposite from what the world teaches us. Society teaches us to take and to collect. I think all of us have learned that this does not lead to happiness. People that have learned to give themselves away are incrediby happy. Its like their motto is "if I can help you, I will."

I encourage everyone within the sound of this keyboard to look at their life and consider how much of it they are consuming and how much of it they are giving away. Everyone can be a giver. Watch how happy it makes other people. If you have been down in the dumps, go find someone who needs something, and give to them. A generous heart is a glad heart.

Its a beautiful day in Gods world. Be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Song of Deborah said...

Pastor, what a wonderful website you have created. Now I will be able to read your thoughts and benefit from your leadership and perspective all the way across the state. Thank you!

Isn't it awesome how the Lord sends a generous heart to us just at the right moment in time?

May I link your blogspot to my website at songofdeborah? It would be a pleasure to do that for you.

Deb Spaulding
Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO
www.songofdeborah.com