Friday, May 4, 2007

I'm not moving to Africa, at least not this week

Well. I didnt mean to create a stir. On Sunday I talked about the disparity that I feel when I consider the suffering of many ministers and the relative ease of being a pastor in America. I mentioned 429 pastors who were martyred in the Sudan. I asked, what does that say about my level of discipleship? My level of commitment?

Since Sunday, I have received several nice notes from you friends about how much good is being done here at Woods Chapel and how important the work is here. I appreciate those thoughts and I know that they are true.

Lets be clear. I have kids in college. I am not going to Africa. At least not right now. And you are right, there is a great deal of good to be done here. Here is a question: What is better, for me [one person] to go to Russia, or for me to work hard to motivate all of you to go to Russia, Africa, Guatemala, and New Orleans? The answer is simple. I understand this.

However, and this is a big however. We have to be very care that we do not begin to believe that somehow we are owed the cushy life that we lead. The prosperity gospel is heresy. There are many very faithful Christians who are poor. Read Hebrews 11. Pay close attention to the end of the chapter. We must not justify our wealth as an excuse to forget about the poor and needy of this world. To whom much is given, much is required. We at Woods Chapel have a deep responsibility to give back to the world. We should be deploying people into the mission field. We should be living sacrificial, exemplary lives of discipleship.

I have a friend who every time she walks into her house thinks, "Lord, I do not deservve to live in a wonderful home like this." That is something for all of us to think about.

Another blog posted.
Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Jeff Brinkman

No comments: