Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It takes all kinds to make a world

I am often asked, "why are there so many small churches?" One possible answer is that some churches spend a lot of time running off those who do not agree with every single point in the churches list of doctrines. Pretty soon all that is left is the preacher's family and a few others, and everyone is looking over everyone elses shoulder to make sure that they keep thinking right.

One of the things that I have noticed at WCC is the number of different kinds of people that we have attending. Some are like me, some are like how I was a few years ago, some are not like me at all. All are important. If all Christians have a place in God's family, then all Christians should have a place at WCC. In fact, we need to have non-Christians and nominally Christian people among us, or there will be no one for the church to win.

We cannot be threatened by those who see the world differently than we do. [Often a sense of being threatened is a sign of our own insecurity in who we are.] Every single person is important and they all matter to God. Stand back and watch and see if God doesnt use people too, who are very different from you. There are many different parts in the body of Christ and the church should look more like vegetable soup than a broth.

What does this mean for your personal life? While there are surely those that we enjoy more, and those that we enjoy less, everyone in our life matters. If we treat those with whom we are uncomfortable in a standoffish manner, then the results of that are predictable. Maybe they have just be waiting for a kind word from me. Even those who hurt us have a role. God can use them to help me learn to be more gracious. And my wife would tell you that I need to learn to be more gracious.

Its a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. Even in those who are different from you.

1 comment:

iTeachiHope said...

Amen to that!
I know God knows what He's doing when He puts us in contact with those who are "different," you know? I have been asking God lately to make His presence known in the lives of a couple of people -- to let them feel his strength and love. Well, it has become crystal clear that He wants me to be a part of that. And, doesn't THAT just make all the sense in the world? But, isn't it funny when you get these "messages?" You say, "Are you SURE, God? Me? You want me to WHAAAT???" Well, the really amazing thing is that I have been "brave" a couple of times and tried to do what I thought God was asking me to do. I stepped outside of my normal quiet-Christian-in-private comfort zone (it was maybe just my big toe I stuck out there, but still), and, you know what? It's working. The really amazing thing is that it's working! The Holy Spirit is alive and well at WCC and also (LOL) in my quiet, kid-free, radio-free car on the way to work each morning!