Saturday, March 29, 2008

48 sermons

48 sermons. That is all that Methodist preachers needed to have in the old days. Every year they would give their 48 sermons and then be appointed to another place. They always had a new audience for the same old 48. No one ever heard their stories more than once and their jokes were always new.

Having been here as long as I have, 14 years this June, this is a real challenge for me. I am not asking to move, but I am asking for your understanding.

The stories that I have, are my only life stories. My approach to major pieces of scripture has not changed over the year. Consequently, sometimes I wonder if people feel like, "well, here we go again with that stuff."

Sure, I can read books and learn new stuff, and I try to do that, but Jeff is pretty much the same guy as he was 14 years ago [I think]. Actually, I think I used to be funnier.

The other point here is that the core message of the Christian faith does not change. There is no new spin on the suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus. We just need to make peace with the story and learn to apply it to our lives. It is what it is.

Finally, our culture has predisposed us to want to be entertained. The pressure for preachers to always have something new on the table has led to some very unfortunate heresy [false teaching].

Tomorrow is Sunday. You may hear something that you have heard before. Not a repeat, I always [except 2 times per year] write sermons from scratch. But there are only so many ideas in my head and heart. I have been blogging for almost a year. It is time for some topics to be addressed again.

In order to learn, we need to hear important things over and over. And I need to release my self from the worry over if you have heard or read all of "my stuff." I am sorry if you know all of my jokes. They are still mine and they are all I got, and I still think they are funny.

So, coming soon to a pulpit and blog site near you.......the story, the old old story, of Jesus and his love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, your sermons are never stale...they are always heartfelt. Nobody does that better than you. I have never heard anyone say about your sermons "here we go again", only "that really touched me and spoke to me." Looking forward to your sermon tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about having the same content in your sermons - we need to hear things many times before they really sink in.

Someone, a WCC member, a Catholic, was in the office this week for buisiness and said he had attended church services here a few times and our preacher was WONDERFUL. He said he had received much from your sermons. I agreed and invited him to come more often!

Anonymous said...

If you go back to about May 10, 2007, you had a blog that included the following: "... God tells you that you are loveable, that you arE accepted and approved. He loves you without condition. He loves you completely......When you know that you are loved by God, the tapes that have run in the back of your head telling you that you are bad, well they stop running...." I look at this blog every day, it is taped up in front of my computer screen. It is actually similar to the first sermons I heard you preach in 2006. It was these ideas that brought me to Christ. I can never hear this message enough; it is an enormous gift that Christ has given us. But I think you either need to "use it, or lose it". Good things deserve to be repeated for new people to marvel at, and for old people to savor. InkyLynne

Anonymous said...

Jeff . . . I have a hard time remembering the details of yesterday, and I think alot of us would fall into that category. I have never thought you were repititive and, I have said many times, "Wow . . . Jeff must have been sitting right outside my kitchen window this week, because that is JUST what I needed to hear." You "feed" our souls in a very special way and touch on topics close to our hearts. Please keep doing exactly what you are doing! You are blessed and are a blessing to us. Don't overthink your sermons for us, because what comes straight from your heart is enough! We love you.

Anonymous said...

My brother...I am moved as I read the response from your congregation to today's blog entry. I love you for writing it. You share what is on your mind and heart. I simply write to agree with those who have written.

God is fresh in your life. You continue to share what He speaks through your life and it's new. Inspiration re-shared is wonderful...re-applied, still good medicine.

It is His heart in you that draws people to Himself, more than a new story. Your arms around your people, your prayers over the fellowship, throughout the week prepare us to hear His message through you.

We are being lead by an authentic disciple of Christ, not perfect, but real. We bless Him for you as you stand before the fellowship.

Your friend

terry said...

If you only knew how many times I have seen friends the next day and we have shared that we felt like you were talking directly to us... Jeff, I don't think that you have any idea the people you have touched.. we love you so much... you are never repetitive or boring.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, you are too hard on yourself, we are blessed to have you and look forward to your sermons every week. Please do not doubt yourself.