Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dad's tax stuff

I kept it for years, just in case. Finally I decided that it was time to get rid of it. A cardboard box full of my parents, then my father's tax returns.

I put the box in the trunk of my car. I would take it to church and put it through the shredder a little bit at a time. With all the worry of identity theft, it has to be shredded.

The box sat in my trunk for two months.

Then, I sold the car. Now I had to do something with the box. I finally moved it into my office. Yesterday, about 7:15 am, I started shredding my Dad's stuff. Dad kept every check and every receipt. It was a funny feeling to see Mom and Dad's handwriting. Just yesterday they were here.

I learned some things about them. They were very generous. Their charitable giving was something to make you proud. They gave to their church, then after mom died, Dad gave to his new church, our church, Woods Chapel. They gave to funds for the poor, funds for the sick and political campaigns. When the parsonage needed new carpeting in 1994, Dad gave $500.

I didn't finish the shredding, because I had to get to work, but I felt connected again. Connected to two people who weren't perfect, but did the best they could. Two people who grew up during the depression. Two people that I miss and remember fondly.

Someday, someone will shred your stuff. What will they find? What will you have left behind?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're braver than me. I still have all of my parents records, just can't give it up.

jjwalkingjim said...

Oh how I can related to your experience… My dad kept all of his old check in Fritz’s meat boxes. As a kid I never understood why keep all of this paperwork… After he died, I went through the process of review and destroy… It was interesting how the checks helped craft a story about his life.. There were other items beside the checks… The bottle of dirt from Korea, the old coins, the bayonet that he kept in the back of his closet, the Avon cologne bottles, etc. I’m sure each of these items represented a story or experience that was never shared with me.. I wish I would have taken the time to ask.

Anonymous said...

my kids will find that i've shredded everything ahead of time. maybe i don't want to leave the skeletons...

robwinger