Monday, March 3, 2008

yesterday's sermon

If you missed church, yesterday's sermon was the annual sermon on the crucifixion. I think it is important to remind ourselves of the story. But, I have to tell you, after telling the story 4 times yesterday, I am spent. I am not sure that I will be able to do that again next year. I don't want to think about the suffering of Jesus anymore right now. I want to be thankful for what he did for me/us, but my brain and heart are full right now. Full of the sadness. Full of the fear, the terror.

I am ready for a resurrection.

Maybe that is the whole point. Maybe we don't really understand the resurrection until we are immersed in the suffering. Maybe that is why we need to do this every year. Maybe we would never know joy had we not known sadness. Never know love had we not known hate. Never experienced true life had we not been touched by death.

Easter is coming. I am ready.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I often find myself reading your blog but never thought I would ever leave a comment. However, after reading how spent you were I thought it noteworthy to let you know what I witnessed Sunday while you spoke. As I sat in the pew next to my husband, our 9 yr old daughter and one of her best friends (who is also 9)I was very moved watching those girls take in your every word on how Jesus was crucified. After the service I stood with my friend, her daughter and mine discussing the rest of our day and felt overwhelmed to tell the girls how impressed I was with how intently they listened to you. I told my friend how they stared at you as you explained the nails peircing Jesus, how they whipped him and how he struggled to breath while he hung on the cross. The girls explained to me how they were feeling while they listened to you. My daughter told me that she felt so sad for Jesus. She was thinking about all the pain that he went through for us. Her friend said that she too was sad and that the story was interesting. Watching as your words touched those young girls moved me, made me proud to be in that pew. I just wanted to let you know that even after attending this church for almost 14 years now I still see your words touching people. So Thank You.