Monday, March 10, 2008

disheartened

I am pretty positive right now. In general I think I am a pretty positive person. I am writing about this topic because it has been on my mind. I see myself sometimes feel this way, and I run into others that feel this way on a regular basis. I am not claiming this feeling today tho, I am just writing, sharing some thoughts.

Discouraged is too strong of a word. Disheartened is closer. Not a permanent feeling, not an overwhelming feeling, just an occasional sense of being disheartened. I think we all get this from time to time. Maybe your kids are draining you, maybe the money goes out the door as fast as it comes in, maybe your dreams seem to be just out of reach.

Pastors feel this way sometimes. I am not owning this right now, but I just wanted you to know what happens sometimes in the brain of a preacher.....

"I just can't seem to make anyone happy. No matter how hard I try, it seems that so and so is always mad at me. I am the preacher. Why does anyone have to be mad at me. My actions may not be perfect, but my intentions are. That should count for something. I am expected to do the impossible. To always have a word of encouragement, to always have a good sermon. To always be on. The expectations are impossible to meet. I am required to go to an all day meeting in Columbia. I have to preach again on Sunday. I don't have time for my friends anymore." Sometimes I think that pastors pray for a "regular" job.

I think members get disheartened sometimes too. Here is what that may sound like: "I try so hard to help. I don't feel as excited about my faith as I used to. So and so at church is mean to me. I can't give financially right now. I am tired of thinking about being a kinder person. I just want some time for me."

If you have ever felt this way, you are in a big club. Most people, at one time or another feel disheartened. Here is my advice. Don't quit. Don't quit your marriage, don't quit your job, don't quit your God. Understand that these feelings are just part of the ebb and flow of life. Keep doing the things that you know are right. Feelings come and feelings go. Your good feelings will come back.

In fact, sometimes when I get disheartened, I imagine that I quit. It is an interesting mental exercise. In my brain I go to work somewhere besides the church. Maybe I work on cars, maybe I paint houses, maybe I work at a bank. In each scenario, my feelings are the same. After the initial rush of peace and quiet, after the initial joy of the pressure release, I get bummed out. I miss the people, I miss the church, I miss the challenge to reach out in the name of the Lord. In fact, after I pretend in my brain that I am doing something else, pretty soon, I am looking for chances to do the very things that I thought I didn't want to do anymore.

What does that mean? I believe that the good will always keep rising to the surface if we give it a chance. We may feel down for a while, but it is not the end of the story. Hold on, keep loving. Sharing God's love will always get us to the other side of our feelings. Eventually.

You know that it is true. I smile as I think of it. Sharing God's love always, eventually, gets me to where I need to be.

Ahh, I feel better already.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! We needed that right now...just keep on truckin'. :)

Anonymous said...

I am with you. I love your blogs. There is something to pray about in each day of them. Whether it be for others, for you, or for my family...etc... I feel overwhelmed, disheartened, or something right now, but I do know that it will pass for me, as I know this for you. Today, I will pray of this subject, and those who I know if affects at this moment. Prayers and Love to you!

Anonymous said...

I hope you realize that you do please alot of people out there. Every Sunday my family and I leave feeling uplifted and fullfilled. Your sermons touch us and fill us with the word of God. Since we have been attending WCC our lives have been complete. Thank you for what you do...please focus on us who truly appreciate and need you.