Sunday, December 14, 2008

bell ringer

Yesterday I dropped by Sam's club. I occasionally sneak into Sam's or Costco for the $1.50 hotdog and coke.

Yesterday as I approached the door, I was coming from around the corner. I heard the identifiable sound of the Salvation Army Bell ringer. I instinctively got out a dollar, having been so conditioned by my pastor to do so. I rounded the corner, and to my surprise, the bell was being rung by a member of our church. I wanted to jump up and down and shout. I wanted to cry and bless them, and give thanks to God. But, not wanting to make a scene, I simply put in the dollar and said, "thank you."

Thank you. Thank you for ringing the bell. Thank you for helping the poor. Thank you for giving of yourself. Thank you for taking a few moments to make someone else's life a little better. Thank you for expanding the circle of care.

I wonder how many other friends from church saw you at Sam's yesterday? Maybe your willingness to ring the bell will cause others to do so. If that person from church can do it, maybe I can do it!

Maybe next year, we should pick a day and see if we can fill every bell ringing slot in lees Summit, Blue Springs and Independence with ringers from our church. Have you been ringing the bell? If so, please post a comment and tell the others what that experience has meant to you.
Thank you my dear friend for ringing the bell, it was such a blessing to run into you at Sam's.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little different story that was very fulfilling . . . Our high school friends get together a couple of times a year. Yesterday, we met in Columbia (some from KC, some from St. Louis). We had breakfast and then played Secret Santa/Pay It Forward. We drove around the city and found people we thought looked like they could use extra cash. We were at a Discount Grocery store and found this lady coming out and getting into her very old van (she couldn't even get in without a step stool). She was with a younger gentleman. We went to her and gave her cash and told her Merry Christmas. The biggest smile appeared. She was so thankful. Then we drove to an old motel and looked for a maid. Instead we found a young mom with her baby coming out the door. We handed her cash. She was a little unsure . . . she said, “Do I look like I am a bum?” We said, “No, just go buy your baby something he needs and Merry Christmas.” She had bandages on her face (we weren't sure if she had been beaten or what??). Anyhow, in the end she was grateful and it showed with a big smile. Then we went to a Thrift Shop and found this little girl with 2 men. She was buying a book with her own $.25. Her shoes were old and worn. We gave them cash. Then, we went to Sonic and ordered drinks. We asked for the cook to come outside so we could talk to him. So he did, and we tipped him $30 instead of the carhops. One comment they all said to us, "God Bless You." And He has and continues to do so.

VERY FUN and REWARDING DAY! If you have a group of friends, and you usually exchange gifts, try this . . . it warms your heart. We cannot wait to do it again.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Who would have known ringing the bell would be interpreted so positively? I signed up to ring because I think the mission of the Salvation Army is important; I have more blessings than are deserved and have had a huge miracle occur in my life this year and need to show my thankfulness; and I like to ring bells.

I would be glad to take on the challenge next year of getting our congregation signed up to ring all over town one Saturday before Christmas.