Monday, December 15, 2008

little things

Hebrews 12:15
"Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;"

Years ago, I thought of this scripture passage as a reminder of the pain that can be inflicted on a congregation when someone gets unhappy and cannot get over it. Their pain ultimately takes root and grows out into the congregation, hurting many.

This does happen, and this is why we need to guard our own attitudes and help heal those who are unhappy about something.

But, that is not why I am writing about this passage today. Today, I am simply applying this passage to my own life. Maybe there is an application for you as well. Here goes.

If I get upset about something, and do not, or cannot get it resolved, what happens? Often, a little bad attitude takes residence and then every thing is colored by that root of bitterness. The result is that things that would not otherwise bother me, do. Things that I normally would have power over, now have power over me. It makes it all too easy to be overcome or defiled by bad attitudes and oh so hard to see the good.

So, what to do? Nip it in the bud. Clear the air. Talk it out. Get past it. Relieve your soul of the burden of worry so that you can focus on positive things.

It is good advice: Don't miss the grace of God. Take care lest a root of bitterness spring up and trouble you, and by it many be defiled.

Start today with a clean slate.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Dave Templeman said...

Wow! This post hits very close to home today. My college football team got knocked out of the D1playoffs one game from the championship game for the 6th time out of 7 tries Saturday night. I was angry. My son's reaction to my anger didn't help. Our exchange pretty much ruined the next 16 hours for everyone. Bitterness ruled. I was in a bad mood and little things that normally would not be a big deal were a big deal. I didn't want to go to church. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I didn't want to be around anyone. So I took my dogs for a long walk. I read the paper. My wife shampoo'd the carpets. I was sorry. She was sorry. We apologized to each other. It was ok. Grace is good.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget.....wash their feet.



one of the best sermons God gave Jeff to share with us about 2 months ago.