Monday, December 22, 2008

nice guy

I am a nice guy. I think I am. I try to be. I hope I am. So much of my understanding of the Christian faith condenses down to living out the principles of our faith. Being touched by the cross in such a way that I become a person of love and grace. 1 Corinthians 13 makes it really clear that if we have all of the religious stuff, but don't have love, we don't get it.

So, I hope I am nice to you and I hope that you think I am nice. It is at the core of who we are as Christians. Even when we have to do things that are unpopular (and I have to do such things sometimes} they can be done with kindness and grace.

So, last night, the Jazz band concert was awesome! Super. Wonderful. Several, many people commented on what a nice guy I was to allow this in our church.

The concert was awesome! Why wouldn't I allow it in our church? What pastor would not allow such a thing? People today are not looking for religiosity, they are looking for relevance and joy. The Christian faith does not have to be something that is all balled up in seriousness, guilt and ritual. Sometimes we miss the joy because we are taking ourselves way too seriously.

Remember, Jesus laughed, told stories and was filled with joy. He went to parties, drank wine and was accused of being a sinner. I think He would have enjoyed the concert last night. In fact, I think that God was pleased with the presentation (if I might be so bold as to speak for God- you know, even preachers need to be very cautious about this- we are not as smart as we think we are.)

So, I hope you enjoyed the concert. Seemed like about 500 people did to me. But don't worry about thanking me for allowing it, why shouldn't we allow it? Enjoy yourself. Kick up your heels. Celebrate life. It is all good.

And if you want to tell me I am a nice guy, well, ok, thanks. How we treat each other is pretty important. I love you all.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Seems to me that there is an obsure reference to Jesus playing in a band called Zakeus and the figs. I think he played the Lyre.
Although the Jazz of the time was different becuase the instruments only had three strings.

Erik B

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely a wonderfully nice guy, Jeff Brinkman, and I love you for it...all of us do!
M.A.

InkyLynne said...

Before the concert last night, Clay gave us a "pep talk" along with prayer. He talked about the opportunity to bring joy to people who might be finding it hard to be joyful this holiday season. Kris made the same point before the Cantata and at City Union Mission.
I love the concept that being a Christian is about feeling and spreading the joy of God's love. It's not just an "in your head" thing, it's an "in your heart" thing. I'm glad to be part of a church that encourages me to laugh and sing (and sway!) about my faith in Christ.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE TO SAY WHAT A WONDERFUL CHURCH WOODS CHAPEL IS. I HAVE BEEN COMING TO CHURCH FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW, LAST NIGHT I CAME ALONE BECAUSE EVERYBODY ELSE WAS BUSY,I THOUGHT TO MYSELF, HOW CAN I START TO FIT IN, I WANT TO SO BAD, I JUST REALLY DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I AM 55 AND REALLY HAVE NEVER WENT TO CHURCH, UNTIL NOW, LAST NIGHT TOLD ME WHY I KEEP RETURNING, BECAUSE IT FEELS SO GOOD TO KNOW GOD LOVES ME,THAT IS THE REASON HE HAS LED ME TO WOODS CHAPEL, BECAUSE NOW I KNOW IT IS NEVER TO LATE TO FEEL PART OF SOMETHING SO WARMING TO MY HEART, THANK YOU JEFF BRINKMAN AND THANK YOU JAZZ BAND, CHOIR AND CLAY FOR MAKING ME LAUGH.

Anonymous said...

I knew always that you would love our idea to combine some entertainment, caraziness and joy with a message. Why not sing, dance, make jokes and just live joyfully. Last night was a perfect example of how we can get a message through to people through entertainment with music, lights, video and some great entertaining characters. I hope we started something that will be an annual Christmas tradition at WCC. I Had a BLAST!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT LAST NIGHT IN THE COLD TO WARM THEIR HEARTS!!!!

Greg S.