Sunday, December 7, 2008

what do I want for Christmas

My kids always ask. Dad, what do you want for Christmas. The answer has become the same for me, as it was for my own Father. "Nothin." Well, the kids want to do something nice for you. They even want to spend some of their hard earned money on you.

Well, this year, I had a bit of a revelation. My son Scott is a big MU fan and I was able to get ahold of two tickets to last night's big 12 championship game at Arrowhead. Does he want to go? Absolutely.

I told him, "Scott, this will be your Christmas present to me." He said, "Dad, I am not paying for the tickets. How can this be a present from me to you?" I said, "your time will be your present to me."

So we made plans, put on cold weather clothes, bought tailgate food, loaded up, drove to the stadium, found a great place to park, watched the pregame, the game and went home. It was a great time and will become a great memory.

Now I know what to say when the kids ask what I want for Christmas. I will say, "guys, I want you to plan something with me so that we can spend 4 hours together." A concert, a movie, shopping, helping the homeless, working in the yard [right!], anything that seems to be a good way for us to spend time together.

I don't care who is buying, that is not the point. I will buy. Their time with me is the real gift.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our time may well be the most precious gift we can give to anyone. As the years go by it becomes increasingly more appreciated when someone shares that gift with me or I discover the blessing of giving my time to another.

So glad that you and Scott had this special time together last night. How precious, the gift of time!!!

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday afternoon siesta!

m.a.

Anonymous said...

Amen! Time with your family/and or friends is a priceless gift. You realize that most when you've lost someone dear. Don't waste precious time on earth talking about doing it--do it!