Saturday, December 13, 2008

uncomfortable

What makes you uncomfortable? Something I am sure. Last night I wore my high school letter jacket which was purchased in 1973 to our staff party. Well, needless to say, it doesn't fit very well anymore. I was uncomfortable in it.

I am uncomfortable in dress up clothes, extended family gatherings, elevators, airplanes and large groups of people. Well, you might say, then how do you preach on Sunday? Well, I had to get used to it. Sometimes it still bothers me. For years, I was sick to my stomach every Sunday morning. My counselor tells me that I am an introvert in an extrovert's world.

Sometimes I think it is important for us to live outside of our comfort zone. I have a hunch that the things that God calls us to are almost always outside of our comfort zone. That is because when we are in our comfort zone, we trust in ourselves, but when we step out, into uncharted territory, we must put our trust in Him. So, being uncomfortable is not all that bad.

Step out today and reach someone for God. Care about someone that is just beyond what you would normally have done. You will be glad that you did, and so will they.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff my long time friend.

This summer why not join me and go jump out of a plane..you'd be amazed at how that increases your comfort zone....:-) Plus imagine falling at 140 mph looking at each other...cheeks flapping.(at least mine)..adreniline rushing. Amazing what does not bother you after that..:-)