Sunday, December 21, 2008

no need for it

I went to the mall yesterday. So did everyone else. After all of the warnings about a slow shopping season, we all decided to go to the mall yesterday. I only went to meet my wife for lunch. My shopping has been done for weeks. Ha!

After we ate lunch, I am trying to figure out the best way out of the mall parking lot. This is no simple matter. I was in front of Applebees on the north side. I had tried a couple of approaches to the north and they were really backed up. I decided that the most successful idea might be to go all the way around to the back side over by Dillards and then Macy's and get in line to turn right onto 39th. It worked ok, I did get home finally.

The thing that is stuck in my mind is what the woman did that walked out in front of the cars by Sears. Without any real sense of where the cars were, she started out into the traffic lane with her 13-14 year old daughter. There was no crosswalk. The real problem came when, instead of walking straight across the traffic lane, she started walking diagonally through the cars.

I just stopped and watched her. I did not smirk, but I was thinking that she wasn't helping the situation. When she got by my truck, she raised her fist, turned her head toward me and shouted the Californy Howdy. I was surprised at her actions. I did not reply. I am sure that her daughter was really proud of her in that moment.

I am not sure why she did what she did. Maybe I did something wrong. Maybe she used to go to our church. The sad thing is, I have not been able to get her nasty act out of my head. There was no need for it. No need. No need at all.

And so it is with most of our negative behavior, there just is no need for it. Nothing is gained, all we do is hurt people. May each of us redouble our efforts to engage in random acts of kindness, there just is no need for the other.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe she used to go to our church". I love it! Maybe you should have rolled down your window and invited her to our church. : )

Anonymous said...

Today my husband and I went to the movies. It was a PG-13 movie, but several other movie-goers decided to bring small children in with them, one of them being a toddler. On the other side of us was an older couple who chatted throughout the film. As we left the movie theater and were venting our frustrations about what we had just witnessed, my husband said, "Maybe we're the wierd ones." I'd like to think in my heart that this is not true, but more and more I am witnessing the "wierdness". I guess if we can't change their hearts, we can make ours shine a little brighter.

I'm sorry that lady did that to you!