Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I am nervous

Ok, here is the truth. I am nervous. It is the most wonderful time of the year and I am nervous. I always am. It took me years to not be nervous on Sunday morning. Now, when we have big crowds. I am sick to my stomach. I am an introvert in an extrovert's world. Most of the things that I do as a pastor, I had to learn how to be comfortable with.

It is not that I don't like Christmas, I do. I love it. It is that being around lots of people, all stuffed in together, makes me a nervous Nellie. I am nervous now, just thinking about it.

I will be glad when midnight hits on Christmas eve. It will be quiet again. Calm. Peace on earth. But, today we are making final preparations for six services and tomorrow is the busy day. Let's all celebrate with joy the birth of Jesus. But, please give room to the introverts in the place.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother:

First, I think that I understand your feelings and since of urgency...to confirm everything is covered and nothing has been overlooked. Is everyone prepared for their part of the presentation? So many details!

If I were in your place, I am positive that I would be going through the same emotions and thinking...probably even more intense.

But then, if I were you and had ministered in such a way as you have taught and lived before your congregation, I would hope that someone might suggest the following to me.

Jeff, you have taught us to love. Love God in the first position and then allow His love to direct our hearts as we love those around us. You preached and modeled GRACE as LOVE'S partner. Grace flows out of the Love and Love flows out of Grace.

Now, what could go wrong that would cause anything to interfer with His Love and His Grace in a congregation who gather to celebrate?

I won't belabor the point as I think that is no "news" in this litte entry.

Just know that when two or three thousand people gather in this place tomorrow, they all have their arms around you. They anticipate seeing you and you don't have to do anything to earn it or perform well enough keep it. You are stuck with us.

WCC is a safe place.

Your friend

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I am praying for you today. I'll be praying for you tomorrow.

Thank you for all you do. Thank you for sharing yourself with us. Thank you for being real.

Know this....what you do makes a difference every day.

mhaskamp said...

As a music teacher who just wrapped up three highly-anticipated Christmas programs, I feel your sentiment. Just remember that the unexpected moments are often those that bring the most joy.

See you tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

This is how I see it....you teach us to reach out to people, to "connect", to love one another. So, it's natural for us to want to also reach out to you, to connect with you and to show you our love and gratitude. We may get over zealous at times and forget what an introvert you really are. I for one, will try to control my urge to just squeeze the heck out of you. We could certainly spread the love around WCC and give you some space--occasionally. ; )