Thursday, December 11, 2008

a note to Dad

Dad, last night I put up the Chris-m tree. I put on the old carols and I put up the tree. It was like every other year. I checked the bulbs and there were about six bad ones. Tyler the cat climbed the tree about half way up and then had to be rescued. Listening to the same old cd's that we used to listen to on Christmas always reminds me of you. King's College. St. Olaf. Awesome.

One thing of note about the tree going up this year- I did it by myself. Not the ideal, but what are you going to do? Scott was at work, the girls are at college and Cathy is in North Carolina. They are all going to help put on the ornaments, but I had to get the tree up. It is the Dad's job in the family. I know you know that.

Jenny called and she is coming home on Friday. We are going to bake some cookies together. I got a new recipe from Alice at church for a really tasty oatmeal cookie. I miss you Dad. I miss your grouchy "bah humbugs" during December. I didn't know it was so hard to be the Dad.

Well, enough of that. By golly we are going to have Christmas this year. The lights are on the house. The tree is up. The music is in the CD player. Cookies will be here soon. This year we are gonna have hope. I am going to remind them all of how good life is and what a blessing it is to celebrate family, life and faith. We're gonna have Christmas this year. I promise.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think in some ways we all had the same father for Christmas. I could not understand the grouch in him, the nothing for me, and the tie I'll never wear attitude.

Now I've become my father. I understand exactly what he was doing. It was all for us, it was his way of making our lives better. Just like our Heavenly Father. Thank you for reminding of my Dad, I miss him so much.