Sunday, December 28, 2008

extra credit

One of the least attended Sundays of the year is today. It is the last Sunday of the year, the Sunday between Christmas and New Years.

There are many good reasons to skip church, and some real lame, selfish ones too. Here is what I have always wondered about missing church: what would I have received if I had taken the time to be there? A hug, a smile, an important thought, a new friend, a sense of inspiration, that one little nudge that pushed me over the edge to the next level of growth in my life.

I want to encourage each of you to be in church every time that you possibly can. It is good for us and good for our children. Believe me, when your kids are older, their participation in church is going to be far more important that how many video games they played or how many extra-curricular things they were involved in.

Anyway, if I were giving out extra credit, everyone who comes to church today would get it. Now, since we live by faith and are saved by grace, there is no extra credit. But, maybe, just maybe, today is the day when you find something or hear something at church that will change your life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: