Sunday, January 4, 2009

Daytime deer

Yesterday about noon I left the church. I had been catching up on some office stuff. Out the door and down the sidewalk, I headed for the car.

Whoa. I glanced up. There were 5 deer in the field just next to the church's fence. They were all looking at me. We had a stare down. I looked at them, they looked at me. Five good sized does. Finally they moved off to the north, behind the cancer center. I decided to follow.

I fired up the red car and drove down to Bolen Rd. Turning right, I could see them near the fence, across from where you turn to go into Blue Springs lake. I pulled over to the side of the road. I walked up the embankment to the fence. For five minutes, I watched them and they watched me. We were 50 yards apart. I don't know that I have been that close to a deer since I was a kid and we fed them in the petting zoo.

It seemed like an eternity. 51 year old man stares down five deer. Watching them somehow pulled me out of my worries and into God's world. They were beautiful, and so so free. Finally a truck with a dog in the bed came out of Blue Springs Lake. The dog barked of course, and the deer took off. Prancing gracefully to the east, they bounded over two fences with ease. Off into the forest they went.

I went back to the car and sat down. Just the 10 minute deer hunt had been enough to calm my soul. I see deer almost every morning behind the church, but I have never seen them in the middle of the day before. Just thinking of it now, makes me feel God's peace.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to your story. I love to watch deer--or any of God's creatures. I used to drive 40 minutes north to 54 undisturbed acres that we owned and just sit in the truck in the middle of the most wooded area and wait, and watch, for anything that would move. It was so peaceful and calming. Once I drove up there after dark with one of my daughters and we parked by the creek. The lightening bug display was so awesome. We talk about it often--it was so cool. What a beautiful world.

Anonymous said...

Over the Christmas break, I had the opportunity to go with my Dad to his cabin on the other side of the farm. The ground was covered with snow/ice and we took a bunch of corn with us to feed the deer. Dad and I put out the feed, then sat in the cabin for the next 3 hours, watching out the window. We caught up on life, whispering of course. We saw over 30 deer (some really nice bucks with 10 points) and around 15 turkeys, all about 10-30 yards away. It was good for my soul and nerves to sit in almost complete silence (except for the crackle of the fire), enjoy nature, and spend time with my Dad.

David Harris