Friday, January 30, 2009

Remembering

From the category of: "when you think things are bad, take heart, it could always be worse."

Are you tired of winter? Tired of snow? Do you remember what you were doing 7 years ago? On this day in 2002 we were stuck in the middle of a very bad ice storm. I was in Russia on a mission trip at the time with Gary Glenn and Terry McCarty. I stayed one night in the apartment of a Russian family. They had a small black and white TV. The news was in Russian, but I saw a report on the TV in Russia about the ice storm in Kansas City.

I was proud of my wife for taking care of the kids and everything that she did during the storm.

I was also proud of you. You opened your church as a Red Cross emergency shelter and took in people that had no power. With no notice you braved treacherous roads to bring food to the church to feed these people. You did all of it without me even being there. You guys are awesome.

So, if you are tired of winter, take heart. At least we are not having an ice storm.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How well I remember that time. My husband was on oxygen, and the oxygen delivery truck was having trouble getting through to us because of the fallen limbs. We ended up moving my husband's equipment (and us) to our daughter's house where we spent 11 frustrating days. I'll never forget how glad I was to be able to come back home! Betty

Anonymous said...

Jeff,
It really is sort of cool to think about you being in Russia and seeing a local weather story so far away. Its a small world.....but I wouldnt want to paint it.

Erik B