Friday, January 2, 2009

my power

Ouch. Someone hurt my feelings. I did not think that they had, but after I mulled over what they had said to me, I became hurt and angry.

I sulked and whined and complained to myself. I commiserated with misery. How could they say those things.

Now, I am a true believer in taking criticism to heart. Constructive or otherwise, we can learn a lot from what people are telling us about ourselves. Healthy people listen to, and think about what others are saying. If their words are true, then we work on changing. If they are not true, what do we do?

Well, I became defensive. I didn't say anything to anyone, but I let it upset me. For about 8 hours. Eight hours wasted in self pity. Then I had a break through.

I remembered that I had read somewhere, "if you are angry, the problem is you." I got to thinking about this. We cannot give people enough power over us that they can color our moods. We have to see the good. Immediately my disposition changed. I stopped thinking about my hurt and began to think about why I was reacting this way.

Somehow, my insecurities had been allowed to take over. I started to fight back against the programming in my brain: why should I be angry? God loves me. Why should I be wounded? They didn't mean anything. What is the long term harm of this? Nothing. Do they really understand what I am trying to do? I don't think so.

I regained my composure and the placement of my brain and heart in the world. I took control of my feelings. I rested in God's love. We have the keys to the kingdom. Whatever we bind, will be bound and whatever we loose, will be loosed. We can choose to hold onto life's hurts, or we can let them go. Every chance that you get, let them go. Overcome evil with good. [when I say evil, I don't mean the people or what they said, I mean our need to react and overreact.] Over come that evil with good.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: