Saturday, January 3, 2009

loving you, loving me

A son announced to his parents that he has found the girl of his dreams.
The mother asked her son, "why does the girl love you?"
The son answered, "mom, she sees me as funny, caring, and handsome."
The mother continued, "so son, what do you love about her?"
The son answered, "well, uh, she sees me as funny, caring, and handsome."

Why do we love one another? Why do I love you? Is it because you love me? Is that all that there is between us, is that you make me feel good about myself? That is not a very good foundation for a relationship. It is like two dominoes holding each other up.

While we do need to lean on each other from time to time, the best relationships are based on admiration, caring, and common goals. I enter the relationship as a whole person, I do not need you to complete me. Only God completes me. I do not give you God's place in my life. I am whole in Him. Now being whole, I can enter into a relationship with you and really care about you because I am not trying to get anything from you. My joy is that you find joy, my satisfaction is found in your fulfillment.

Imagine what happens in our human relationships when we are no longer looking for fulfillment through those we "love" but instead, we begin our day as whole people in Christ, and reach out to others in His love.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh love....no one can describe it like Paul did...how many weddings has he been quoted at?
Almost makes you cry to read the words. Much like the Lords prayer it seems so Perfect. A real smart person told me years ago when I meet someone, while shaking their hand and looking them in their eyes, say in my mind ,"I love you" at least twice. Something happens when you do this, It sets our brains to the tune that we should be at, "the love tune" but more often we are thinking of other things and forget the persons name seconds after we've heard it.
Love is not just for our family,its easy in most cases to love our fathers mothers sisters and brothers...not always so easy to love the neighbor next door.... I believe our fathers intent is for us to learn to love All , the second greatest commandment was to love others as ourselves...why? Why is that so important that its the second greatest commandment?
My answer is what I just said, "I believe our fathers intent is for us to learn to love all". The fact that this seems impossible to us as humans is why we are here.
Its what we're supposed to do with our lives as humans. God made it pretty clear. Ok dodds but Try loving Hitler, really....try it. Think of him as a baby, a child, what was his life like, was he cold and hungry begging for food did he have shoes, did anyone ever pick him up and say I love you? Can you love him just a little now? What if someone had? I don't mean to ramble and I don't mean to excuse hitler.... but if we would always assume love, always look at others with love, always mentally say I love you or better yet outloud...one of our fathers purpose for us will be answered. If we all, if everyone silently says "I love you" to everyone during any conversation, your mind changes...someone can be in front of you furious and you'll be saying I love you..and after you do this enough you will realise you really do love them...and you will marvel at how it feels...and the person who was so mad will feel your love, they just won't know quite what it is about you they find appealing..and why they fell so much clamer. (love and hate can not be in your mind at the same time) Jeff said with so much brilance and clarity, "I do not need you to complete me. Only God completes me. I do not give you God's place in my life. I am whole in Him. Now being whole, I can enter into a relationship with you and really care about you because I am not trying to get anything from you."

Is that not beautiful? Is that not Perfect? If we all had this mind set would the world be all it can be? Yes. And dang it 40 years ago some group of kids came over from England and wrote a song,
"All you need is love" I guess they're lucky they weren't crucified.....and if Hitler who became a horible drug addicted monster responsable for the pain suffering and death of so many had been born in a time when these priciples were being applied, he would not have been who he became to be..because he too would have been loved...and love others as well. Maybe there's someone who needs to be picked up and told they are loved near you. Maybe don't put it off.